Waterville Police: Local transient found dead inside building where a standoff took place overnight, believed to be the suspect

An estimated 45-50 officers assisted throughout the evening and overnight hours.
An estimated 45-50 officers assisted throughout the evening and overnight hours.
Published: Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:26 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WATERVILLE, Maine (WABI) - Officials say just before four Wednesday morning police found James Croxford dead in the basement of this building on Highwood Street with a shot gun nearby.

It came nearly twelve hours after a stand off began between Croxford and police Tuesday afternoon.

“Determined there was someone in 8 Highwood street building, a vacant building that the person was inside and in fact had fired shots. As they approached the building someone from the inside the building broke out a window, the officers were able to see the barrel of a weapon protrude from the window and a shot was fired. the officers retreated back called for more units and we set up a perimeter,” said Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey.

Waterville Police Department received multiple 911 calls reporting gun shots Tuesday evening.

The area was closed off most of Tuesday night and nearby residents were evacuated.

40-50 officers from agencies from all across the state were brought to the area.

“We called for the state police and asked for their tactical unit. We had several agencies from the neighboring communities respond Winslow, Oakland, Fairfield, Clinton, we had the ambulance service there, the fire department,” Massey said.

After police heard shots fired from a very large vacant building on Highwood Street, a standoff took place overnight.

They say there were no communications between the individual inside and the police throughout the hours they were on scene.

Police say when they found Croxford he had a shotgun near his body. The Medical Examiner’s Office to determine cause of death.

Police say that Croxford was someone they are familiar with from a previous encounter.

Grub on College Avenue stayed open all night to assist first responders and community members.

“We just wanted to makes sure the people that were displaced had food, had something to drink, could come inside and stay warm. So all our first responders could use the bathrooms. We just want to make sure we were here to help support the people that were trying to keep us safe,” said Grub co-owner Jary Coeho. “Our first responders were awesome, they did everything they were supposed to and they collaborated as a team.”

After nearby residents were evacuated for safety reasons, Waterville Police have expressed gratitude to the residents of Home Place and the Mt. St. Joseph’s Nursing home for their patience and cooperation, saying they know this was a very trying situation for all.

Copyright 2020 WABI. All rights reserved.