UPDATE: Open Flame Used To Thaw Frozen Pipes Cause Of Bangor House Fire

BANGOR, Maine (WABI) Bangor fire fighters are warning people not to use an open flame when trying to thaw frozen pipes.

They say that's what led to a house fire Saturday.

Crews were called to Palm Street around 8 am.

Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Matt Costello says one of the tenants in the two-unit building tried to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame in the basement of the house when the fire spread.

He says the tenant tried to put the fire out himself and didn't call firefighters right away.

This delayed crews from getting to the fire by about ten minutes.

When they arrived there was already heavy smoke in the home.

Costello says the fire was contained in about an hour with the last crews clearing the scene around 4 pm.

We're told wo firefighters were injured, one treated for chest pains from exhaustion and one fell on the ice.

The fire marshal's office was called due to the injuries.

Fire officials urging people to not to use an open flame to thaw pipes and say to use something like a hair dryer instead.

And not to delay calling 911 as soon as possible if a fire starts.