ORONO, Maine (WABI) - A reported gas leak caused parts of Orono to be evacuated early Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities evacuated Hasbrouck Court apartments on Mill Street after an excavator stuck a gas line.
The machine's operator called 9-1-1 and crews were on scene within minutes to begin evacuations.
A Bangor Natural Gas worker arrived and crimped the gas line, stopping the leak.
By 12:23pm, police reported that Bangor Gas had contained the leak.
Orono's Deputy Fire Chief Rob St. Louis says they approached the situation with caution after last month's propane explosion in Farmington.
"We just make sure we have enough resources coming in. We had Old Town, Bangor, the University ambulance and Orono PD on site to also assist with the evacuation and make sure all the businesses in the area were notified of the current problem."
Apartments were checked for air quality before residents were allowed to return.
Bangor Natural Gas remained at the scene to do repairs.