Overnight Fire Destroys Equipment At Hampden Construction Company

By  | 

HAMPDEN, Maine (WABI) - Smoke and heat sparked an early morning fire inside a commerical storage garage in Hampden.

One of the owners of Hughes Brothers says his crew saw black smoke coming from the building when they arrived at work around 5:30.

No one was inside.

When firefighters got there, heavy smoke was coming from the building but no flames.

Ed Hughes says five mixers and a large loader were inside the garage.

"When we were working on one of the trucks we were grinding on some of the fenders and some of the sparks got into a pile of stuff we use to clean the floors with and that smoldered all night and caught some big loader tires on fire, so when tires started burning, it game off, a lot of heat," said Ed Hughes, Vice President of Hughes Brothers.

Hughes says while insurance should cover the costs, he expects the damage to be in the thousands.

He says he plans to rent trucks in order to stay on track.