Man who set fire that killed 2 transients in Bangor to be sentenced

By  | 

BANGOR, Maine (WABI) The man who was convicted of killing two transients who were inside a delivery truck that was intentionally burned in March of 2018 will learn his fate in court Tuesday.

A year after the crime occurred, a jury deliberated for only a couple of hours before determining that 27 year old John De St. Croix was guilty.

43-year-old Michael Bridges, and 36-year-old Desiree York had been sleeping in the back of the truck that was parked under a bridge in Penobscot Plaza.

Police say De St. Croix admitted that was with Bridges and York before the fire happened but said he had left to go get something to eat.

De St. Croix told police he wasn't far when he saw a bright flash.

He went back and saw the fire, heard banging and Desiree calling for help from inside the truck.

Surveillance video captured images showing De St. Croix leaving the area with two bags in his hands.

That video shows him stop and watch the fire for about 30 seconds.

A sentencing hearing will take place Tuesday morning at the Penobscot Judicial Center.