Advertisement

Man shot three times during altercation speaks out after charges dropped

(WABI)
Published: Jan. 17, 2019 at 6:10 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Charges have been dropped against a Newport man who's accused of shooting another man.

Last month, 34-year-old Brian Duplisea got into a fight with 27-year-old Ralph McLaughlin in the parking lot of a convenience store.

Brian Sullivan spoke with McLaughlin Thursday afternoon about what led to the altercation and the shock he said he felt when he learned charges had been dropped.

"He was having an affair with my girlfriend," said Ralph McLaughlin. "He also is in a relationship. I found out about it, and we ran into each other at the store and a confrontation ensued. I ended up hitting him once, and he went right straight to his truck. He turned around and shot me. I went down, and he shot me two more times."

McLaughlin calls it a disagreement between men, and even if Duplisea was trying to protect himself he took it too far.

"I hit him once, and he didn't try to do anything but get to his gun," he said. "When he got to his truck, he could've just hopped in his truck and left and went to the police station."

When asked if it was considered self defense he answered, "I would think one shot would be enough."

Thursday morning in court, the charges against Brian Duplisea were dropped.

"You are Brian Duplisea?" asked the judge. "Sir, this says reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, however I have been informed there's no complaint in the file. I've been informed the DA's office has declined prosecution which means you're free to go. No charges are being brought at this time, and you can go see the clerk through that door, sir."

McLaughlin was informed earlier this week the charges were being dropped. He says authorities are trying to sweep the case under the rug.

"Victims advocate told me that they're looking at it as if it's a assault and an assault, so it's a wash. I don't agree with that at all. It's not an assault," he said.

"When you guys showed up this morning, they were trying to get him out of there, and you are there and they didn't want no publicity. They didn't want none of it.I can't get nowhere with them. I can't get anything from them."

TV5 News asked Newport Police for a copy of the police report. Our request was denied. We have submitted a Freedom of Access Act Request for the reports from the investigation.

Since the shooting, McLaughlin has been out of work and says he has racked up $70K in medical bills.

He says he wants justice served.

"I don't think I should've had to die for him to have to be able to go to jail and have a little bit of justice," he said. "I think it would be completely different, if I was more seriously injured, I think it would be completely different."