Man in Custody After 14-Hour Standoff in Waterville

By  | 

WATERVILLE, Maine (WABI) - A man who police say caused a 14-hour standoff in Waterville over the weekend appeared before a judge Monday.

23-year-old Michael Joslyn is facing multiple felony charges after police say he tried to shoot his landlord through the floor of his apartment.

"We charged him with threatening back in November and he does have some history with other law enforcement agencies. So obviously it's an escalating pattern of behavior and hopefully we can address that through the criminal justice system," said Waterville Deputy Police Chief William Bonney.

Police say they received reports of shots fired by a tenant at his landlord in an apartment building on College Avenue in Waterville around 9 o'clock Saturday night.

Officers responded, safely removed the landlord from his downstairs apartment, and worked to secure a perimeter to contain the suspect, Michael Joslyn.

"Are you Michael Joslyn?" asked the judge in an Augusta courtroom Monday.
"yes," replied Joslyn.

Joslyn allegedly fired multiple gunshots through the floor of his upstairs apartment at his landlord, who lives below him.

Police called in neighboring towns to assist as well as negotiators to get Joslyn out of the house after he refused to come out.

"We negotiated throughout the night with the subject and eventually around 11am on Sunday morning, he came out. But he was uncooperative with police and after a short confrontation, we deployed the pepper ball system, which is small balls filled with a pepper-like powder," said Bonney.

Joslyn was not hurt and is now being held on $8,000 bail.

"Whenever we can have a standoff where a subject fired numerous shots and we can end that without any injury to anyone, that is a huge success for our department and the agencies that responded with us."

Joslyn is charged with reckless conduct, aggravated criminal mischief, refusing to submit to arrest, and creating a police standoff.

"In my mind some of the most serious of the charges result from the fact that when he fired the weapon off in the apartment, one bullet did exit the residence, travel across College Ave, and we located that lodged in the siding of a residence across the street."

Joslyn is due back in court in February.