VASSALBORO, Maine (WABI) - A man is dead after a house fire in Vassalboro.
Fire crews responded to the home on Hussey Hill Road just after 5 Thursday evening.
Investigators say a toaster in the kitchen malfunctioned and started the fire in the one-story home.
Police say the man's mother discovered the fire when she returned home from work.
Fire officials say they were able to put out the blaze quickly.
We're told a Maine State Police Trooper who lives nearby pulled the man from the smoke-filled house.
Sgt. Joel Davis, Maine State Fire Marshal's Office, said, "The person that was in the building was unconscious. They couldn't revive him outside the building, so they passed away."
The victim's name will be released Friday after other family members have been told of his death.
State Police tells us a Lieutenant was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.