Fire destroys barn in Garland, family gets out safely

Published: Nov. 9, 2018 at 8:50 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

No one was injured, but a family's dogs died in a Garland fire.

Fire officials said when they arrived around 5, Friday night, a barn at a home on Dexter Road was fully engulfed in flames.

Authorities said they were able to knock down the fire before it reached the house.

We're told the house is still livable.

Officials said working smoke detectors played a big role in keeping everyone safe.

Justin Gudroe, Assistant Fire Chief of Garland Fire, said, They got home from work sat down and the wife could smell smoke and she heard the smoke alarm. They were able to get themselves and their kids out. They were not able to get their dogs out, but smoke detectors are a key factor and this time of year everybody needs to check the batteries and replace them. They save lives."

The barn is a total loss.

The Fire Marshal's office will investigate.

The Red Cross has been called in to help the family.