Fire destroys home in Winterport

By  | 

WINTERPORT, Maine (WABI) - An elderly couple was able to safely escape a fire that destroyed their home.

Around 12:30 Thursday afternoon, the call went out of a home up in flames on Stream Road in Winterport.

Multiple departments responded to the scene.

Monroe's Fire Chief says his crew was the first to get there, and when they did, it was too late.

"Fire was through the roof when the first units arrived. We had to stand back a little bit because it was right near the electrical entrance and we had a lot of action, sparks from the electrical, so we had to be kind of cautious for that. We did send a couple of people in just to knock down what we couldn't get from the outside, as you can see we had a partial collapse," said Ken Clements.

The Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.