One man is dead after fire destroys Millinocket home

Published: Dec. 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

One person is dead following a fire in Millinocket.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says a man’s body was found in the rubble of a house that burned to the ground Thursday morning.

Officials say the body was found on what was left of the first floor.

It's believed the victim is the homeowner, Fred Pasquine.

The man's body is being taken to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Augusta for examination, likely on Friday.

The investigation continues to pinpoint a cause for the blaze.

Those we've spoken with say this is where Fred Pasquine lived.

"Well I come out and turn the outside light on and the police were sitting here in that house was all in flames and this is at 3:30 in the morning. I just couldn't believe it," said a neighbor.

"It was crazy I'll tell you when we realized what was going on we came out and saw this."

Multiple departments called in to fight the fire on Hemlock Street early Thursday morning.

When crews did arrive on scene the home was fully engulfed in flames and unable to be saved.

Fred Pasquine's brother-in-law Harold Waltz was there Thursday as investigators sifted through the rubble.

"He was a kind person. He had a shuffle in his feet from a disease that kept him from walking normally," said Walt. "It was progressing and getting a little worse and that probably handicapped him from getting out of the house if he was aware of the fire."

He said he and his family found out from a post on social media.

"Got a call at 7 o'clock this morning from one of his sisters in South Carolina and she was all panicky and crying saying "My God, my parents' house is on fire.""

Waltz said that Pasquine had lived here all his life and cared about his home and where he came from.

"He really loved his Italian heritage. He would take some of the older men out, doing lunch downtown and obviously that's not going to happen."