Emergency Responders Recount Unusual Rescue in Hudson

HUDSON, MAINE (WABI) Emergency crews in Hudson and Bradford can now add horse to their list of rescue victims.

They were called to a wooden bridge in Hudson Sunday afternoon where the large animal had partially fallen through.

As Joy Hollowell reports, it was a first for many of the First Responders.
"It's nothing that I've ever dealt with before and most of us there had never dealt with it either," says Captain Chris Lavoie with the Hudson Fire Department.

Around 3 p.m. Sunday, he and other emergency crews in Hudson were dispatched to a wooden bridge on the Wilder Davis Road. A woman called 9-1-1 reporting the front legs of her horse were wedged in between some timbers.

"They were out for a ride and came to the bridge," explains Lavoie. "That's when a turkey flew out of the woods and the horse jumped."

Hudson Fire and Rescue called in Bradford as well as G & H ambulance for back up.

"We had a couple of people who had experience with larger animals," says Lavoie. "So we used their knowledge and then everybody else's knowledge to sort of come together and we formulated a plan."

While waiting for all of those resources to arrive, the horse became tired, according to Captain Lavoie. It ended up collapsing. In the process, the rider and another woman were injured.

A vet arrived and gave the horse a tranquilizer.

"Once the horse was sedated, we had to cut a piece of the bridge," says Lavoie. "We were able to roll the horse over onto a stokes basket and we dragged the horse off the bridge. Once the sedation wore off, the horse walked freely into a trailer and suffered very minor injuries."

Both women were taken to the hospital with what's described as none life-threatening injuries.

A happy ending, says Lavoie for both the humans as well as the horse.

"A life's a life."
A front end loader operated by Keith Pierce from the Hudson town garage was used to help carry the animal off the bridge.

The rider and her friend, who according to Captain Lavoie has worked with the animal, were both taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. We told one of the women underwent surgery.

The horse had just minor injuries.