Dryer lint apparently sparks fire that damages Eddington home

Published: Jun. 20, 2018 at 12:44 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A father and his two children have been forced from their home in Eddington after dryer lint apparently started a fire.

Crews were called to Main Road just before 7 a.m. Wednesday, right across from the Eddington School.

We're told the fire started in the basement and worked its way up to the first floor and attic.

Eddington Fire Chief James Ellis says the father put some clothes in the dryer, turned it on, then left with his kids, so no one was home when the fire started.

Crews from Brewer, Holden, Dedham, Bradley and Milford were also called to the scene.

The chief says the mutual aid and quick response helped save the home.

"Again, rural fire department. Response time was pretty good, less than 5 to 6 minutes," says Ellis. "But the fire had a good foothold when they were here and they attacked the fire. Basement fires are very challenging for firefighters on a good day. But they were able to get the fire knocked down."

We're told the inside of the house has a lot of heat and smoke damage and the family won't be able to live there for awhile.

The chief also says it's a good idea to clean lint traps in dryers on a regular basis.