DEXTER, Maine (WABI) - Two people are without a place to live after fire tore through their Dexter home Wednesday afternoon.
Flames broke out just before five at the house on Goff Road.
Crews arrived to find the home engulfed.
Everyone made it out safely, but we're told the homeowners lost everything including a couple of pets.
"The people who live here are a seventy year-old woman and her 10-year-old granddaughter. They were outside raking the front lawn and turned around and happened to see the black smoke coming from the doors and what not from the house. She quickly went in to try and get some of the animals out and was able to get a cat out, and other cat ran for the woods, and I believe they've lost a dog and a bird in the fire," said Dexter Fire Chief, Matthew Connor.
We're told the Red Cross has been notified.
Investigators from the Fire Marshal's office have been called in to help determine a cause.