Fire destroys home in Surry

Published: Feb. 2, 2023 at 10:33 AM EST|Updated: Feb. 2, 2023 at 12:10 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SURRY Maine (WABI) - A home was destroyed by fire in Surry Thursday morning.

The call came in to the home on Morgan Bay Road just after 9 a.m..

It’s believed to have started in the chimney, but officials say due to the extent of the damage, there is no way to determine an exact cause.

The homeowner was inside but got out safely, including their animals.

Thursday’s temperatures were not an issue for firefighters, but that will change this weekend.

We spoke with Surry Fire Chief Bryan McLellan on what folks should keep in mind to keep them and their homes safe.

“We don’t expect power to go out. When it does, there’s the usual precautions around keeping generators away from the house so that if the generator catches fire, it won’t catch the house on fire and ensuring carbon monoxide is not going to build up. If you use space heaters, it’s important to make sure that they’re in the open or have someone around them so they don’t get knocked down or set something else close on fire. We, of course, don’t recommend using portable propane heaters in the house or anything like that” he said.

McLellan adds that if you need any resources this weekend, its best to call or text 211.