State police: Fatal Wells shooting of 1-year-old started with argument over T-shirt

Court documents are revealing new details about a shooting in Wells Saturday which left a toddler dead and two men injured
Published: May. 23, 2022 at 2:27 PM EDT|Updated: May. 23, 2022 at 2:31 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WELLS, Maine (WMTW) - Court documents are revealing new details about a shooting in Wells Saturday which left a toddler dead and two men injured.

Andrew Huber Young, 19, is charged with murder in connection with the death of his 22-month-old niece Octavia Huber Young.

An affidavit written by a detective with the Maine State Police major crimes unit released Monday states Andrew Huber Young walked into the Wells Police Department shortly after the shooting and told a dispatcher, “I (expletive) up and and accidentally shot at my (expletive) family.”

Andrew told the dispatcher the gun used was located in his car.

According to the affidavit, a search warrant was executed on the vehicle and police recovered a handgun in the trunk. Shell casings were later found inside the home where the shooting occurred on Crediford Road, investigators stated.

The document states state police detectives interviewed Andrew at the Wells police station.

Andrew allegedly told detectives he and his brother Ethan, the father of Octavia, were arguing at the home over a T-shirt that belonged to Andrew but was being worn by Ethan.

According to the affidavit, residing at the Crediford Road home at the time of the shooting was Andrew, his mother Candace Huber, his father Mark Evans Young, his brother Ethan Huber Young as well as Ethan’s daughter Octavia.

Andrew allegedly told investigators the argument escalated and he was told to leave the home before attending a Sea Dogs game with his girlfriend.

During the game, the document states, he continued texting Ethan.

Andrew said his brother Ethan said things over text about destroying his property and smashing his hamster cage.

Investigators stated that a destroyed hamster cage was later located in Andrew’s room.

According to the document, Andrew returned from the game with a gun which he told investigators he stole from his father.

At the home, Andrew told investigators he could see his mother holding Ethan back from him before he shot through the door of the home at his brother.

“Andrew said he had aimed at Ethan’s chest before shooting, but claimed that he didn’t intend to kill Ethan. He claimed he wanted Ethan’s respect,” the document states.

Andrew’s girlfriend told investigators, according to the document, he claimed to her during the earlier argument Ethan had a knife and his father was holding Ethan down.

The document states Candance Huber, Andrew’s mother, drove Octavia, Mark Evans Young and Ethan Huber Young to the York Hospital Urgent Care in Wells.

Mark Evans Young was shot in the face; however, his injuries were not life-threatening, according to investigators.

Ethan Huber Young was shot in the left shoulder, the affidavit states.

Ethan was holding Octavia when Andrew was at the door with the gun, according to police.

Octavia was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland where she died from her injuries.

An autopsy determined Octavia died from a single gunshot wound through her left arm and into her chest.

Andrew Huber Young is currently being held at the York County Jail without bail.

As of Monday afternoon, it was unclear when he will make his first court appearance.

Copyright 2022 WMTW. All rights reserved.