UPDATED: Hermon house a total loss after explosion, fire
HERMON, Maine (WABI) - Officials say a Hermon home is a total loss after a house fire that lead to a propane tank explosion.
According to Hermon Fire Captain Chandler Corriveau, the house on Blackstream Road is a total loss. The roof collapsed on the back of the house.
Officials say the propane tank was leaking and exploded.
Officials say the family was away and no one was hurt. There were no pets.
Multiple crews responded just after 6:15 p.m.
“We arrived on scene, the well-involved house fire, a single-family home,” Corriveau said. “The propane tanks were venting, and as the first units arrived on scene, one of the propane tanks actually BLEVE’d- that’s a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. In the back of this house, the propane tank is about 300-400 feet out in the field. So we’re very lucky that nobody was behind the house when that happened.”
The Fire Marshal has been called to investigate.
The road was closed to traffic for some time Tuesday evening as crews responded to the scene.
We will update this story with additional information as it becomes available.
Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.