Manhunt ends without incident, accused murderer taken into custody in Carthage

Manhunt in Wilton
Manhunt in Wilton(WABI)
Published: Jul. 28, 2020 at 1:41 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WILTON, Maine (WABI) -A man wanted for murder in Massachusetts was captured by authorities in Carthage Tuesday afternoon.

For two days, authorities had been hunting for 34-year-old Derell Guy.

Guy is on the Massachusetts State Police most wanted list for allegedly shooting a man in January.

“On July 27th at approximately 10:30 a.m., the Wilton Police Department stopped a vehicle on Route 2 in the town of Wilton where Derell Guy, 34 years of age, from Lynn Massachusetts was a passenger.”

Police say Guy fled on foot launching a two-day manhunt for the fugitive.

Residents were told to stay inside and lock their doors while police searched for Guy.

“It’s a little nerve racking, yes.”

Posted by Massachusetts State Police on Wednesday, July 8, 2020

But a Carthage resident spotted Guy on his property and immediately alerted authorities.

"The Maine State Police received credible information of a confirmed sighting that Guy was behind a residence on Earth Way in the town of Carthage. Mutual law enforcement agencies immediately responded and saturated the area. After a brief K9 trek with the Maine State Police tactical team, Guy was located at approximately 1 p.m. and taken into custody without incident or injury."

Authorities say Guy had been hiding out in the Carthage area for some time.

They say he was staying at the Rocky Mountain Terrain Park riding four wheelers and dirt bikes and had met and been seeing a local woman.

Police say they are continuing to investigate his connection to the area.

Some 70 to 80 officers from different agencies had descended on the area.

Authorities provide update on capture of Derell Guy, a man wanted for alleged murder in Massachusetts. They say he was located and arrested without incident along Route 2 in Carthage this afternoon.

Posted by WABI TV5 on Tuesday, July 28, 2020

They say without assistance from the community, the arrest may not have come as swiftly.

"The community at large, we have their support, they came out in numbers to support us whether it's shelter, food, water, and information."

The local Fish and Game Association allowed authorities to use their land and facility to set up a command center.

And Steve's Family Market down the road offered food and water.

“They were in our neighborhood, and they needed it.”

Copyright 2020 WABI. All rights reserved.