Improperly disposed wood stove ashes are being blamed for a fire on Squire Street in Waterville that leaves three people homeless.
The call came in just before 11:00 Thursday morning.
Waterville's Fire Chief David LaFountain said the three people who rented the home escaped the fire.
LaFountain says one of them set a pail of ashes on the porch and went back in the house. He believes that wound up setting the porch on fire.
When they went back out a short time later the porch was fully engulfed in flames.
Fire crews from Waterville and Winslow arrived to find flames had spread to the entire house.
All the occupants got out safely. The house is destroyed.
The Fire Marshal's office is investigating.
Three People Escape Waterville Fire