*** Serves 4 ***
4 6oz. beef tenderloin steaks
3tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt (sea salt is better if you have it)
1tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4cup brandy or cognac
1/2cup beef or veal stock... (broth will work, but you will allow for an extra 5 minutes for reduction later)
1/8cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1. Preaheat oven to 400.
2. Generously coat steaks with peppercorns and salt while you get an ovensafe saute pan hot over med-hi heat.
3. Add oil to pan, sear steaks for about 1 minute on each side, then remove from pan and set aside.
5. With the pan over a medium flame, add onions and garlic, sweat for about 30 seconds.
6. Add brandy to the saute pan, stand back, asit should flame up for a bit.
7. After the flame settles add your beef stock, let this mixture reduce by half over medium heat (about 3 minutes with a good stock, about 6-7 min. for broth).
8. Stir in heavy cream.
9. Return steaks to the pan and put the pan into the oven. cook for about 7 minutes for a medium rare filet.
10. Place steaks on serving plates
11. Whisk dijon mustard into the pan sauce and spoon over the steaks