CHINA, Maine (WABI) An elderly couple In China was saved from their burning home late last night by a state police detective who was driving by.
Detective Scott Quintero saw the Route 3 home of Rita and Richard Lessard was on fire and entered the burning house.
Mrs. Lessard heard the smoke detectors and called 9-1-1 while Quintero helped get her 82-year-old husband out of the home.
The home was completely flattened by the blaze, so much damage they can't say for sure what sparked it.
They say the blaze started in the attached garage which was heated by a woodstove.
Mr. Lessard was taken to a hospital with smoke inhalation, his wife was not injured.
The couple lost all of their possessions, including two vehicles.