LINCOLN, Maine (WABI) The 5 days following Christmas have kept the Lincoln Fire Department on their toes.
“We've had 14 emergency calls in the last 5 days, 5 of which were actual working building fires,” said Deputy Chief Frank Hammond. “It does appear that this may be one of the busiest weeks for fires we've had in the history of the department since 1906.”
It’s been a trying week for the department who have been working non-stop in the below freezing temperatures both in Lincoln and the surrounding area.
“You know what? Everybody's tired, but we're strong. We know the mission is about serving the people who need us, when they need us. It’s not an inconvenience for us, it’s what we believe in.”
They department believes that a few of the fires were caused by heating appliances, which is not an uncommon issue in winter weather like this.
“Anything that's producing heat in your home, make sure they're inspected and regularly maintained. That includes chimneys and flues. Typically if we have a chimney fire, if the tile breaks down or the inside of the chimney breaks down, that's just a path for fire gases to escape and ignite the building.”
Deputy Chief Frank Hammond says that they couldn’t have gotten through the week without the help of firefighters from the surrounding area.
“The support and cooperation that we've had from other agencies has been nothing short of spectacular. Our mutual aid companies from the surrounding Lincoln area from Greenbush to Medway and everybody in between, everybody has just pulled right together at these communities to make bad situations as good as possible.”
And even though everyone is tired, Hammond says it’s just part of the job.
“They keep turning out, regardless of time of day, whether they are tired or not. We're getting the jobs done very effectively and efficiently in an absolutely safe manner.”