Five U-Maine Students Without Place To Live After Fire In Old Town

By  | 

OLD TOWN, Maine (WABI) - Five U-Maine students are without a place to live after a fire ripped through their home Friday afternoon in Old Town.

Firefighters from Old Town and surrounding towns responded to the home on Stillwater Avenue around 1:30 p.m.

The home was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived.

None of the students were home. It's not known what sparked it.

Capt. Mike Hildreth of the Old Town Fire Department said, "We know it started in the rear near a dryer but we haven't narrowed down a cause yet we just know that's the area of interest right now. A lot of damage, we had to do a lot of digging on the second floor to get to the fire. So, we pulled down just about every ceiling upstairs as well as had to dig into those roofs underneath."

U-Maine staff is providing assistance to the students.

The Red Cross is also working with four of them.